Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Black and White? Some Colors please!!

As I mentioned in my previous, we are so lucky that Dr. Edwin has arranged some movie-watching session for this course. It is so great that we have the opportunity to watch movies which were adapted and related to the plays we are studying. Previously, I have posted a blog on the first movie I watched which was Elizabeth, The Golden Age. So, for this entry, I am going to write about the other movie I have watched which were Macbeth, Oedipus Rex, King Lear and just today Streetcar Named Desire.
Firstly, let’s look at the movie Macbeth. Macbeth is not among the plays we are studying this semester. However, the thing that Dr Edwin wanted us to focus on was the breaking of the natural order. This is reflected in the play King Lear and Oedipus Rex as well. What is up with natural order of the world? Basically, it is about the different view of the world in which everything in this world is meant to be in its place. Every celestial beings (for example: stars, sun and etc.) should be in its place. The Supreme Being would definitely be the God and the social structure would be lead by the God who is in control of everything, followed by the King who will be the representative of God on the Earth.
But, what is the connection with all the three plays? As we can see from the plays and the movies, the natural order has been broken. In King Lear, Lear gave out his throne and power to his daughters and that would already be a breaking of the natural order because Lear was supposed to rule the country and not others. As for Oedipus Rex, Oedipus had broken the natural order in which he had killed the real Kind, who was his father and married his mother and became the King. The natural order was totally screwed up, don’t you think? Lastly in Macbeth, Macbeth killed the king, King Duncan to enable him to take over the throne and become the next king. He broke the natural order as well because he was not meant to be the King.
Coming back to the movies, I found none of the movies interesting. Okay, alright. Frankly speaking, reading the plays is already boring for me. I never expected that movies would also be boring. Macbeth, for example was darn boring. However, the other version I watched back at IPTI was more interesting compared to this one. As for the other two, they were boring as well. I am really sorry Dr. Edwin but I really have to be frank and honest this time. Nevertheless, I did watch them after all. For Oedipus Rex, one obvious thing I realized was that Oedipus was not limping in the movie. By right, he should have because he was known to have a clubfoot? I assume that the director or producer might have forgotten or missed about that. Hahahahaha. For King Lear, we didn’t get to watch till the end of the movie because the vcd got stuck in the middle of the movie. Some technical problem there was, I assume.
How about Streetcar Named Desire? At first, we were all very excited looking at the front cover of the VCD case. HOWEVER, as the movie started, I was struck by huge surprise. The cover showed some colors at least. But the movie? The movie was all in black and white, for God’s sake!!! I couldn’t help but to find it boring as well. Hahaha.
Pardon me for being too harsh but I have no penchant for this kind of movie. Elizabeth was fine indeed. But the rest? Totally a major no no. I watched Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde’s old movie and it was boring. But the latest version of the movie produced last year was better off. Maybe all I need is some connection to the movie in the sense that I need some colors and actors that I know to act in the movies. Brad Pitt for Lear maybe? Angeline Jolie for Jocaste? Sean Penn for Macbeth? Yes? No?

No comments:

Post a Comment