Thursday, April 2, 2009

Pre Reading and While Reading

This would be another entry on my simulated teaching. Since we are doing pre reading and while reading stage together, I will then write about both the stages in this entry.
Today was my turn for pre reading and while reading stage. I don’t know how I fared and how my presentation was because Mr. Harold did not give comments right after the presentation like what he usually does. I was kind of disappointed because I was hoping that he would at least give a comment or two on my presentation today. However, he must have forgotten about it. So, it is alright.
Where should I start? Basically, I have been preparing for these two stages since last week. But, Mr. Harold could not make it for the three previous classes, so I had to wait until today where I finally got to present.
How should I say this? If you ever ask me how I fared today, I would say that I did excellent and great. I don’t know what comment Mr. Harold has on my presentation today but I strongly believe that I have done my best. At least, I think I was better than some of my friends. I prepared worksheets and extracts for my students which a few of my friend did not. I think extract and worksheets indeed are helpful and useful in helping the teacher to conduct the lesson smoothly and in my case, I think it is indeed true. Without the worksheets and extract, it would be very difficult for me to lead my students to the things I wanted to teach for the lesson.
My weakness and my strength? Emm,let me see. After I received the evaluation forms which my friends had filled in based on presentation, I was happy that all my friends had given me an A. Except for 1 of them who actually gave me an A-. Is she jealous or something? God knows better. As I said, I really think I had done my very best for the two stages. Most of them commented that I have a really good proficiency of the language and a very good voice projection. I also think that my strength is at my language. It is indeed important for an English teacher to have a very good English proficiency, so that the teacher will be able to deliver the lesson smoothly. Bad language proficiency will indicate that the teacher is not good enough to teach the subject and students will then lose their respect for the teacher. It will become even worst and a nightmare if the teacher has students who speak better English than he does. Wouldn’t that embarrassing and humiliating enough? Absolute yes.
How about my weakness? None of them has written any on the evaluation form except for a better length of the extract. However, I myself know what my weakness is. I think I have this feeling of nervousness whenever I am in front of a huge crowd. I mean people may not notice it but deep inside my heart, I feel like dying. My heart pumps real hard whenever I stand in front of the class. Is it just because the simulated teaching is evaluated or is it just my nature to be nervous and apprehensive? It is undeniably nerve breaking to the extent that I would stumble over some of the words. Perhaps, that is something for me to look into and figure out on how to overcome.
Overall, I think I have done well. I have received good comments and feedback for my other micro teachings and there was actually this one lecturer who actually said that I would be a very good teacher in the future. Isn’t that sweet and encouraging enough? No? Hahahaha. Simulated teaching or micro teaching is indeed a good practice for future teachers. I frankly really like it become it trains me to polish up and improve myself. It is the opportunity for us to practice our skills in teaching. As for the simulated teaching for this course, I feel the same way too. But Dr Edwin, I have a question to ask. What is it with the evaluation that we have to fill in for our friends? I think it is so not practical due to certain reasons. I think that is something for everyone to ponder over. I have my very own reasons to say so. What about you? Feel free to drop a comment or two on this entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment