Saturday, March 21, 2009

My Set Induction

A couple of weeks ago, we started our simulate teaching and so far, I have only done my set induction. My course mates are the same as well. Mr. Harold was not around this week, so we could not manage to start our pre-reading and while-reading this week. It is so disappointing because I was all prepared and ready to do my pre-reading and while reading, but Mr. Harold could not turn up for the class. Perhaps, he could be up for something more important, so it was alright.
Coming back to my set induction, I would say that I am very satisfied on my performance. I, in fact, was given a complement for a very interesting set induction activity/ stimulus. I never expected that because I only used a power point presentation that contained pictures of wedding which was related to the play I chose, ‘The Ring Doesn’t Fit’ by Tan Kee Aun. Mr. Harold was impressed on how I put the pictures together and used animations to make it look interesting. He further commented that the animations used were effective to attract and grab students’ attention. Some of my friend tried to some the same method as well but they failed to impress Mr. Harold. May be, luck was not on their side. Hehehe.
As I mentioned earlier, I only use some power point presentation which was kind of lame compared to what my other friends were using. Some, or should I say most of them used video clip for their set induction. It was indeed interesting, But frankly for me, no matter how interesting your set induction, it is the duty of the teacher to make it alive. I mean, what is the point if the set induction is very eyes-capturing, breath-taking and attention-grabbing if teachers are not capable to manipulate and use them effectively and to the fullest. I believe that the teacher must have the skills to make their set induction or the whole lesson itself interesting enough for the students. The other teaching aids or whatever interactive media would be useless if the teacher himself does not know how to utilize them effectively and eventually make the lesson boring for students.
I believe that set induction is the important stage in the whole lesson. Why? It is as simple as set induction is the first stage in a lesson and therefore, it must and indeed has to be interesting. As what I had done for my simulated teaching, I am partly satisfied with my performance. There were only some slight weaknesses which need some quick attention and improvement. For example, I sometimes lose my words, in the sense that I sometimes cannot get the appropriate and right words that I am supposed to use. I sometimes go blank and blur, searching for the words. Therefore, I realize the need for me to familiarize myself with all the words or ‘jargons’ used in English class. Apart from that, it was all great. Really looking forward to pre-reading and while reading. Till then, see you guys in my next post. Adios.

2 comments:

  1. Yes.. I totally agree with you that set induction is the most important stage in a lesson. If you failed to capture the students' attention, they will start feeling bored and will start losing interest in your lesson. When you enter a class, give them a 'cool' set induction, the students will think "Whoaw..This teacher is cool and interesting". and this will eventually make the students like you and will try to particpate in the classroom activities.

    And by the way Amir, congratulation to your successful set induction. You are right, maybe it was luck. But, I believe you were well prepared at that time. Why? Because you even practice teaching when you are playing volleyball, "Ok Class, today we are going to learn...." ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats funny Hui nee,tahnks for 'kantoi'ng on that,hahahaha

    ReplyDelete