Thursday, February 19, 2009

Writing script

This has to be my fourth entry in this blog. For this entry, I am going to write about my experience in writing my very own play scripts.
Basically, one of assignments for this course is to come out with a script for one act play for the language classroom which is meant for upper secondary classroom. Honestly, I haven’t had any experience in writing a script or anything like that before. But, as the course is “Teaching the Language of Drama” there’s no surprise that it requires us to write a script.
So, my group; Ziham, Bruno and I decided to come out with this one story about a boy, rather a teenage boy who wants an expensive football boot from his mother who obviously can’t afford to buy him. So, the mother worked hard by selling nasi lemak and kuih muih. Eventually she gets him the boots but unfortunately, the mother dies in an accident. We decided to come out with the story because we think that it is about young people and therefore, upper secondary students may relate to the story. However, after the first draft was submitted to Dr. Edwin, I was kind of surprised that Dr. Edwin found it very boring and melodrama. When I went through it once again, I admitted that it was very melodramatic. Just imagine could it be any more dramatic and melodramatic than the mother dies in an accident after getting her son the boots. Somehow, I think the story was pretty funny and very the typical boring Malay drama. Hahahaha. No offence to anyone but it was.
So, we created another story and the first draft was already given to Mr. Harold to evaluate and check. Basically, I have learnt a lot of things about writing a script. Among them is that the stage direction should be in a simple present tense. I know writing drama is somehow easy for some people but as for me, it is a difficult task to do. Why? Maybe because I am not creative enough. Yes, I am not one creative person and I find it so hard to think of a story for my drama script. Maybe, what I need is more reading of story books perhaps.
What I am hoping is that our second draft will be approved by Dr. Edwin because I cannot help writing and coming out with another drama story. How I wish I can be so creative, innovative and imaginative as my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment