Thursday, January 8, 2009

Drama and Theatre????

As the name suggests, this blog is mainly created for one of the courses that I’m taking this semester-Teaching The Language of Drama. It’s an on-line assignment for the course. Basically, blog is becoming a phenomenon these days and there is no surprise that Dr. Edwin has decided to include blogging as a part of the assignment. I am kind of familiar with this blogging thing but to blog something sort of academic and educational is so awkward. For those friends of mine who are still blur and new to the world of blogging, welcome to the world of blogging!!!!
Here is a little bit of what we had during the first meeting with Dr. Edwin. Dr. Edwin, amazingly cynical yet firm as how he has always been, briefed us on the course outline. On the first lecture last Wednesday, he explained briefly of what this course has to offer and what is to be expected from us. After that, Dr. Edwin straight away started the lesson with the overview of the history of theatre. So, we were introduced to these things like Greek Theatre, Roman Theatre, Medieval Theatre, the Restoration Drama and more of these unfamiliar names which I have never come across before like Aeschylus, Sophocles, Seneca, William Congreve and a lot more which I believe I need not list down here.
It is kind of pathetic that I am so blank about this whole thing of theatre and drama. Undeniably, Malaysians students are not well exposed to it and I myself in fact have never been to any theatre hall or dramatization of any plays except for the ones staged by seniors which was described by Dr. Edwin as rubbish. No offence to anyone here. Sorry. Nevertheless, the first lecture with Dr. Edwin has actually become an eye-opener for me because I realized that theatre and drama are something that is so interesting and exciting to indulge ourselves in. Although some of my friends were sleepy as the class went along, this course is indeed one of its kind for those people who find it so. During the first lecture, I have also come to realization that I actually like theater and drama. So much so that, I have actually booked ticket to watch the theater of Puteri Gunung Ledang The Musical at Istana Budaya on this coming February 14th. I am really looking forward to that because as I said earlier, this happens to be my very first time experiencing the real theater.
Coming back to the lesson and the course, I am so looking forward to what this course has to offer and a lot more of new discovery and things about theatre and drama to be learned. Hoping that everyone in my class will also feel the same the way I do. Till then, see you guys again in my next post.

2 comments:

  1. This is my first blog. The last and first time I blogged was in friendster of course, and it has been years since I last blog. Haha~~

    I also have never been to a real theatre before. I too have book the ticket to watch "Puteri Gunung Ledang". I heard we got the back seats so we really have to pray that we can get a good view or else it will be a let down. Don't you think so?

    Let's just start enjoying more of this drama course. I believe it will be a great help for us in the future. =)

    All the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry to interrupt... i jz wanna to tell that our seats are the chapest... it should be RM33 but we managed to get discount for students... so, i hope you guys dont put too much hope for a clear view on the stage... sorry :-(

    ReplyDelete